How to host a ghost 2.0 blog for free?
If you are looking for ways to host your Ghost blog for free, you are in the right place. Today, we are going to explain to you how to host a ghost 2.0 blog for free!
We are going to use Glitch as a host. Glitch is a simple tool for creating web apps that is widely used by the developer community. It works similarly to GitHub: users host their apps and you can use them. While in GitHub you can fork a repository, in Glitch you can Remix them!
You only need to create a free account on Glitch and follow these steps:
1. MAKE A REMIX FROM THIS GLITCH
2. THE NEXT SCREEN
In the left column, you can modify the necessary files to configure your blog.
3. MODIFY THE INIT.SH FILE
You have to modify the string $PROJECT_DOMAIN with the name of your project. In this example, the name is “insidious-polonium”.
4. YOUR PROJECT IS ALREADY DEPLOYED
In your case, the name of the URL will be a random one generated by Glitch. If you are asking how to change the name of your project in Glitch, you only have to press in the top left-hand corner and modify it to your liking!
5. FINALLY, YOU CAN ACCESS TO YOUR GHOST ADMIN PANEL
From now, you can setup your Ghost Admin Panel and create pages and entries to grow your blog!
Analyze the workflow of your engineering teams with Scope. Get reports and results and improve the productivity of your development teams.
BONUS TRACK: FREE HOSTING FOR A GATSBY+GHOST BLOG
If you are thinking of creating your blog in Gatsby or have already created it and wondering how to have a free host, simply follow these simple steps!
1. Go to your Ghost Admin Panel recently created with Glitch.
2. In the left column, press in Integrations.
3. Click on +Add custom integration.
4. Give a custom Name and press Create.
5. Copy your Content API Key and your API URL.
6. Go to your gatsby blog code.
7. Open the .ghost.json file.
8. Paste the Content API Key and the API URL in the production and development options.
9. Save your changes!
10. See your new posts on development mode by initializing your gatsby blog with
gatsby develop command.
Remember that you have to open your Glitch before you open your development mode in Gatsby to be able to see your last posts in the blog!
We have used this way to deploy our blog and it works really fine! The only thing you have to worry about is that Glitch sleeps itself after 30 minutes of inactivity! But we are sure you will find ways to “wake it up” 😉
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to write to us at [email protected]